Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Another Right-Wing Extremist


Today Alice and I celebrate our minority status: we're part of the shrinking minority that actually pays income taxes. The majority that pays no income taxes is growing rapidly, and they vote Democrat.


The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. Alexis de Tocqueville

Rather, the American Republic will endure until Congress creates a majority that pays no taxes, and rewards them by redistributing the wealth of the tax-paying minority to the majority.

This is analogous to two wolves and a lamb voting on what they're having for dinner.

I would have been joining a Tea Party protest today except we were traveling the past week. We just returned home in time for me to stay up very late last night and to work many hours today so I could submit an extension request for filing our income taxes. So far it looks like we're at a break-even point - what we already paid is about what we owe.

Still, I have a lot more work ahead before I can submit our final tax return.

As I typed and griped, and sorted and analyzed our many tax records and documents, I noticed that my attitudes about big government waste and intrusion, plus my status as a military veteran - a retired one at that - put me on Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano's "rightwing extremist" list.

Ms. Napolitano, I can give you names of hundreds of others who proudly served our nation and are critical of wasteful and oppressive big government. We haven't been in hiding. We were very open in our military service, and we've been up front in exercising our constitutional right to freedom of speech.

Ms. Napolitano, I'll bet that you were very critical of investigations for Muslim extremism after 9/11 - you probably called it a "witch hunt" or "McCarthyism" - but you think it's OK to smear veterans and big-government critics.

Ms. Napolitano, I know you won't investigate left-wing extremists with the same zeal as right wingers like me.

Rest assured, Ms. Napolitano, I'll make it easy for you to find me.

No comments: